At least five killed in suicide bombing | World News

Authorities in Congo urged churches, restaurants and hotels to step up security on Sunday, fearing more violence after a suicide bomber killed five people in eastern Congo in the first attack of its kind.

Beni Mayor Narcisse Muteba, a police colonel, warned owners of popular venues in the town of Beni that they needed to add security guards with metal detectors because “terrorists” could strike again.

“We are asking people to be vigilant and to avoid public places during this festive period,” Muteba told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Officials initially said the death toll was six plus the suicide bomber, but Muteba revised that figure a day later to five victims. Thirteen others remained hospitalised after the blast at the entrance to the Inbox restaurant on Christmas Day.

Shortly after the attack, an AFP correspondent saw the remains of three bodies at the site of the blast, the Inbox restaurant. The remains of tables, chairs, bottles and glasses were scattered across the blast site.

One city hall source told AFP that two children were among the dead, as well as two local officials. More than thirty people were celebrating Christmas there when the bomb went off, two witnesses told AFP.

“I was sitting there,” local radio presenter Nicolas Ekila told AFP. “There was a motorbike parked there. Suddenly the motorbike took off, then there was a deafening noise.”

Rachel Magali, who had been at the restaurant with her sister-in-law and several others, described hearing a loud noise and then people starting to cry.

“We rushed to the exit where I saw people lying down,” she told the AP. “There were green plastic chairs scattered everywhere and I also saw heads and arms no longer attached. It was really horrible.”

A police vehicle took the wounded to a nearby medical centre, which was immediately sealed off.

Saturday’s bloodshed dramatically deepened fears that Islamic extremism has taken hold in Beni, which already has suffered years of attacks by rebels from the Allied Democratic Forces, or ADF.

Muteba blamed the latest attack on those rebels, whose exact links to international extremist groups have been murky. The Islamic State’s Central Africa Province has claimed responsibility for attacks blamed on ADF, but it is unknown what role exactly the larger organisation may have played in organising and financing the attacks.

There have been worrying signs that religious extremism was escalating around Beni: Two local imams were killed earlier this year within weeks of each other, one of whom had spoken out against the ADF.

Then in June, the Islamic State group’s Central Africa Province claimed responsibility for a suicide bomber who blew himself up near a bar in Beni without harming others. Another explosion that same day at a Catholic church wounded two people.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*