Italy extends entry ban for India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, World News

Italy extended Sunday an entry ban for people coming from India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, as a continued precaution against the more transmissible Indian variant of the novel coronavirus. 

The ban, which does not apply to Italian citizens, was introduced in late April and was due to expire on Sunday. It was prolonged until June 21, a spokesman for Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza said in a statement. 

Also Read | Italy imposes travel ban from India over COVID-19 variant

The B.1.617 variant of the coronavirus was first detected in India last year and has been blamed for much of a devastating COVID-19 wave that has battered South Asian nations in recent weeks.

This week, the World Health Organization (WHO) said the variant has officially spread to 53 territories, and has been linked to seven other territories by unofficial sources, taking the total to 60. 

Also Read | As Italy reports new deaths, European Commission urges member states to extend temporary non-essential travel ban

In an interview with AFP, WHO regional director for Europe Hans Kluge said the increased contagiousness of the new variants of the coronavirus, including the Indian one, was one of his main worries.

“We know for example that the B.1617 is more transmissible than the B.117, which already was more transmissible than the previous strain,” the Belgian doctor said.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*